People have plastic surgery for many different reasons. Some want to look more youthful, some want to improve a feature they don’t like, still others have a medical reason to have surgery done. Whatever the reason may be, cosmetic surgery is a personal choice. For this reason, you should always consult with a board-certified plastic surgeon before making this important decision.
At every Advanced Institute for Plastic Surgery, including our Redlands location, our priority is to help our patients understand the entire process so they can make an informed decision about their body.
The Benefits of Plastic Surgery
The physical benefits of plastic surgery go beyond aesthetics. Often, cosmetic surgery gives additional health benefits as well. At the Advanced Institute for Plastic Surgery, we pave the way for our patients to enjoy a better, fuller life made possible by the life-changing advantages from plastic surgery. A few of these include:
- Relief from chronic back pain: Large-breasted women get immediate relief from long-suffering back pain, neck pain, and shoulder pain when they by getting a breast reduction.
- Improves breathing: Rhinoplasty has been known to improve breathing and oxygen flow. This can be especially useful in getting a better night’s sleep.
- Improves vision: Drooping eyelids are easily corrected with cosmetic surgery to provide you with better peripheral vision.
- Smoother, more flawless skin: You don’t need to be scarred for life from old scars and burns. Skilled plastic surgeons can do scar revision, skin grafts and many non-invasive techniques to give you better-looking skin.
- Improved body silhouette and form: A tummy tuck not only makes your tummy thinner, but can also help relieve lower back pain by rebalancing your center of gravity.
- Improved confidence and positive thinking: Plastic surgery can also contribute to good mental health. When certain aspects of your physical appearance are improved, your self-confidence is boosted, which can spill over to other positive improvements in your life. Plastic surgery can help you view yourself more positively and can help to relieve anxiety and low self-esteem.
Is Plastic Surgery for You?
It’s important to ask yourself why you want plastic surgery. Our skilled plastic surgeons in Redlands discourage patients who wish to undergo cosmetic surgery to please others. Plastic surgery is a personal journey that alters your appearance. It is important to be mentally and emotionally prepared for the journey.
Take a self-assessment and see if you are ready for plastic surgery. Please answer these questions honestly.
- Will you be accepting of your new image? Remember that it may take time for you to adjust to your look. However, most patients feel greater satisfaction after the procedure, so you will need to think about whether it is the right choice for you.
- Are your plastic surgery expectations realistic? Discuss your expectations with your Redlands AIPS plastic surgeon. Feel free to show photos of results that your like and that you don’t like. Your plastic surgeon will help you understand what the procedure can do, but even more importantly, what it can’t do.
- Are you emotionally prepared for cosmetic surgery? The best scenario is if you’ve thought about the surgery for a while (not a spur-of-the-moment decision), you are in a stable phase of your life and you have a good support structure in place.
- Are you ready for whatever the results may be? Consider the worst-case scenario and check if the advantages will outweigh the risks.
- Can you afford plastic surgery? Health insurance will not cover cosmetic surgery, so know the costs involved. Many of our patients choose financing through CareCredit or other lenders.
Know More About the Procedure
After your initial consultation, you will decide on your date of surgery. A week or two before your surgery date, you will come to the office for a “pre-op appt”. This is when you will take your pre-operative photographs. Your AIPS Redlands plastic surgeon talk to you about the surgical plan. Please write down all of your questions and have them with you so you can discuss them in detail.
A pre-operative checklist will be discussed with you.
- Do not take anti-inflammatory medications such as aspirin 2 weeks before the procedure. Doing this will minimize bruising and bleeding.
- Nicotine slows down healing, and this may result in wound healing problems. We recommend that you stop smoking 4-6 weeks before the surgery.
- Take care to eat healthy before surgery so that your immunity is optimal. It’s also important to get plenty of hydration.
- Have an adult you can rely on to take care of you for 24 hours until the anesthesia wears off.
Following these instructions will help you avoid complications and get the best results possible.
Choosing the Best Plastic Surgeon
When selecting the best plastic surgeon, you should check their credentials and experience. You are, after all, placing your life in their hands.
- Thoroughly check their medical credentials and look for board certification from the American Board of Plastic Surgery. Keep in mind that there are many “fake” boards out there. The only legitimate boards are those certified by the American Board of Medical Specialties (ABMS).
- Look at before and after photos and patient testimonials of your surgeon’s past work. Carefully study the surgeon’s style and approach.
- Plastic surgery is often done outside of a hospital setting. Check to see whether the outpatient facility is certified by a national accreditation agency, such as the American Association for Accreditation of Ambulatory Surgical Facilities.
- Go with your instincts. Does the surgeon seem trustworthy to you? Do you feel like the office treats you like “just another number” or do you feel like you are truly valued? Do you feel like you can talk with them, openly and easily? Remember that communication is an essential part of any relationship, especially that between patient and surgeon.
Make Advanced Institute for Plastic Surgery Your Choice
We are the #1 choice for plastic surgeons in Southern California, and for good reason. All our doctors are board-certified and undergo extensive and continuous training. We value our patients and aim for total customer satisfaction at all times. For the last 15 years, we have been given an A+ rating by the Better Business Bureau, a testament to how we treat our patients.
We are passionate about what we do. The multiple awards and recognitions accorded us affirm the quality of our work. We have hundreds of 5-star ratings on Yelp and Google. Our doctors are committed to taking care of you throughout your full recovery, often even giving you access to their mobile numbers after surgery.
Book an appointment now and come in for a consultation. Let us show you why the Advanced Institute for Plastic Surgery is the best, safest, and wisest choice for your cosmetic surgery. Let’s begin your journey to a new you together.